Heading To The Petting Zoo? 4 Things You Need To Do If Your Child Is Injured By An Animal

Children love the opportunity to spend time with animals.That's what makes petting zoos so enjoyable. Petting zoos allow children of all ages to get up close and personal with small, furry animals. Unfortunately, there are times when those small animals can get out of control. When that happens, accidents and injuries can occur. If you'll be taking your children to petting zoos this year, be sure to keep an eye on their interactions with the animals. If one of your children should happen to be injured by one of the animals, here are four steps you'll need to take right away.

Document the Injuries and the Scene

If your child is injured by an animal at a petting zoo, you need to document the injuries and the scene right away. While you're caring for your child, have someone in your group take pictures of the injuries, as well as the surrounding area. The documentation will help should you need to file a personal injury claim against the owners of the petting zoo.

Take Your Child to the Emergency Room

Once you've calmed your child down and documented their injuries, take them to the emergency room immediately. This is an important step, even if it appears that your child only sustained minor injuries. Petting zoo animals can spread germs and bacteria through their bites and scratches, which means even a minor injury can lead to more serious medical problems for your child – such as infections.

Report the Incident to the Proper Authorities

After you're received emergency medical care for your child, be sure to report the incident to the proper authorities. First, file an incident report with the petting zoo. Second, file a report with your local municipal government office. They need to be kept updated about injuries that occur. When reporting the incident to the owners of the company, be sure to request the names and job title of each person you speak to. This will help you create a paper trail regarding your claim.

Contact an Attorney as Soon as Possible

If your child has suffered significant injuries while visiting a local petting zoo, you need to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You'll have insurance companies and attorneys trying to contact you as soon as you file an incident report. Your attorney will help ensure that your child receives the medical care and compensation they're entitled to.